Tis the holiday season and for many expand mummies that means traveling to visit friends and family.
I’ve put together these tips that will help you do travel your healthiest.
Preparing to fly
1. Go business class
2. Hydrate hydrate hydrate the few days leading up to flying, the longer haul it is the more hydrated you want to be before you get anywhere near the plane
Coconut water is a good one for hydration -drink 1-2 per day the 2 days before you fly. Get one of the good packaged ones (without palm sugar) to bring with you to the airport because you cant carry it on drink it right before you board
3. Get an isle seat so you can get up and out easily
4. Don’t forget to pack your magnesium take it at take off to help relax and also the days following the flight
5. Pack some protein snacks in case you get hungry -good protein bar or mixed nuts/dried fruits. Pack herbal tea bags for the flight like camomile if you are a tea drinker. If you use rehydration packets like recharge then pack that to have on the plane
6. Pack whatever medical records you’d want to have with you just incase you need to see a doctor/midwife while you are away
7. Tell your baby about the trip and the flight- they want to be prepared too
8. Start boosting your immune system, good rest, exercise, Vitamin C, low sugars, probiotics, echinacea tea (pack all your immune boosters)
9. If you have constipation tendencies avoid eating too much bread, rice, or other carbs or binding foods the 2 days before you fly
10. Pack 2 boxes of Epsom salts so you can have a nice bath the first 2 days you are at your destination! Supports your immune system and helps you get rid of those plane stuffed nose/sore throats and will help you deal with climate change without getting sick
11. night before and morning of…extra layer of coconut oil on your belly and rest of your body ..flights are SO dehydrating also for your skin!
12. If you are obviously pregnant you might want to get a letter from your Care Provider that your good to fly. Some airlines require it so good to be prepared!
Lucky 13 a good tip from a herbalist friend of mine: To prevent DVT: buy a small inflatable ball (around 15 cm in diameter) and rest your feet on it the entire flight. This will ensure your feet are imperceptibly moving the whole time, which will keeping your circulation going!
Once in the air
1. Skip the champagne 😀
3. Move frequently. If you’ve never read the card / section in the back of the magazine in the seat pocket of in flight exercises then today is your day! Practice them all. Plus get up at least every hour and walk the aisles
4. Taking magnesium (up to 800mg) can help you relax (Disclaimer: only do 400 mg if you aren’t used to taking magnesium and don’t know if your body can cope with a bigger dose…it can cause diarrhea which obviously is the last thing you need! )
5. Catch up on that birth book you’ve been meaning to read (Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, Hypnobirthing, Birth Partner, Active Birth are all good reads) or listen to your relaxation tracks and take an opportunity to BREATHE
6. Make sure you have a mask or shawl to cover your nose/face in your handbag in case they are doing any spraying on the plane! Put a few drops of lavender on it if you use oils
Once you land
1. Hydrate, magnesium, nap when you can and don’t over pack your schedule too much!
2. Watch out for constipating foods if you are prone. This is the time it can be easy to get clogged bowels 😔
3. Drink coconuts to rehydrate if you are somewhere with access to them
4. Remember to use the Epsom salts for a nice relaxing bath!
5. Coconut oil or body butter that skin!