TEJUS HOME is a caring environment where abused, pregnant teenagers and teenage mothers and their babies are given a safe and nurturing place to live, it is located in Kerala, India. It is a pilot project in partnership between two NGOs, Dil Se and Birth For Change and is recognized by the Child Welfare Committee.
Most of the girls in our home are pregnant as a result of violence or abuse; they have often faced the ensuing stigma and rejection by family and society alone.
Here is some of what we offer in the home:
- Information and resources to help the girls make choices about their pregnancy, their baby and their future.
- Counseling for the young mothers and for their family
- Encouragement to continue education during pregnancy and after birth.
- Birth preparation and education classes
- Individualized health care: prenatal, birth and postnatal care with a midwife
- New mummy support: feeding, diaper-changing, bathing, health and hygiene, sleeping habits, bonding, parenting, baby safety etc.
- Sexual education
- Life-skills training: self-confidence and self-esteem, assertiveness, finances, home management, gardening etc. Vocational training and career counseling
In September 2014, we launched our first local awareness and prevention campaign on Child Sexual Abuse.
Please visit our Facebook page here for more information. Continuing this project take an entire village, let me know if you’d like to support our work.